Victories in the Alcohol/Beverage Law Industry
- Successfully defended a Minnesota distributor in a case where the plaintiff sought damages in excess of $3.3 million for claims alleging tortious interference with a noncompete agreement, interference with business relationships and unjust enrichment. Following a two-week trial, the jury returned a unanimous defense verdict in favor of Madigan, Dahl & Harlan, P.A.’s client dismissing all of the plaintiff’s claims.
- Represented a beer distributor who received a $1.1 million arbitration award following the termination of certain distribution rights.
- Successfully represented scores of distributors in supplier disputes in both state and federal courts with regard to threatened terminations, refusal to consent to proposed sales and other matters.
- On behalf of the National Beer Wholesalers Association, submitted amicus briefs in constitutional challenges to state liquor laws in the United States Supreme Court and the 1st, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal.
- Represented two highly successful beer distributors opposing brewer’s efforts to terminate the defendant’s multimillion-dollar distribution rights. Madigan, Dahl & Harlan, P.A., asserted that the distributors were protected under the applicable state law and was successful in securing a dismissal of the claim and the abandonment of the termination.
Construction Law | Real Estate | Defense Victories
- Defended a Minnesota-based high-tech valve manufacturer in a subrogation case in which plaintiff sought damages in excess of $52 million arising out of a hydrochloric acid spill in the clean room of a microchip fabrication facility located in Orlando, Florida. Following extensive nationwide discovery and motion practice, the case was ultimately resolved before trial pursuant to a confidential settlement agreement.
- Successfully represented a client by challenging the fraudulent transfer of real property valued at $1.5 million among family members.
- Successfully represented a client in a fraudulent transfer of real property valued at $1.1 million resulting in a forfeiture of the property. Successfully represented a recreational vehicle manufacturer in scores of arbitrations involving disputes with dealers located across the country.
- As co-counsel, successfully represented defendant insurer in automobile accident claim against Native American Indian Tribal employee, obtaining defense verdict following jury trial.
- Successfully represented construction material manufacturer in a complex mechanic’s lien action, achieving a money judgment at trial, including an award of $67,434 in attorneys’ fees.
- Represented client in a negligence, dram shop and wrongful death claim arising out of a two-car fatal automobile accident resulting in the death of a young college student. The case was satisfactorily resolved pursuant to a confidential settlement agreement prior to trial.
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict on plaintiffs behalf following a two-week trial of a moisture intrusion and construction defect case against a general contractor and several subcontractors.
- Successfully represented numerous clients in the enforcement of employment noncompete agreements in California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon and Washington.
- Successfully represented numerous clients in the enforcement of a noncompete related to the sale of a business in California, Minnesota, Oregon, Washington and Wisconsin.
- Represented clients in a $25 million loan restructuring secured by various assets, including three separate parcels of real estate.
- Represented client in the merger of its medical software business and a capital raise of $10 million to support the continued development of its products.
- Represented a group of investors in a $9 million rollup of their tenant-in-common interests into a new entity that retained an ownership interest in the property.
- Represented manufacturing company in the sale of its $7.8 million facility.
- Represented client in the $3.3 million sale of its aircraft software business.
- Represented client in a $3.2 million sale of its Internet hosting business.
- Represented clients in an asset sale that involved 52 separate real estate locations.
- Represented clients in a $2.6 million asset sale of its marketing/lead origination business.
- Represented client in a purchase of a $2.0 million distressed office building.
- Represented client in negotiating 38 separate easement agreements to create sufficient space for a 35 megawatt wind farm.
- Successfully represented numerous clients in wind project developments, including, but not limited to, the negotiation of land use agreements, easements, turbine supply agreements, power purchase agreements, and engineering, procurement and construction agreements.
- Successfully represented a client in negotiating a power purchase agreement for electricity generated by gas from an anaerobic digester.
- Successfully represented both buyers and sellers in the sale of scores of beer distributorships across the country in complex transactions involving many millions of dollars.
- Successfully represented both buyers and sellers in the sale of aviation-related businesses.
- Successfully represented sellers in the sale of veterinarian practices.
Honors and Awards
- Nominated as a “Best Law Firm” for 2015 by U.S. News Word Report
- AV Preeming peer-review rated lawyer through Martindale-Hubbell for 24 years
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers by Minnesota Law & Politics, Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine and Twin Cities Business Monthly for 14 years
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, 2012 to Present
- Selected for inclusion in the 20th Edition of the Best Lawyers in America, in the practice area of Franchise Law
- “Rising Star” by the Minnesota Journal of Law and Politics