Madigan, Dahl & Harlan, P.A. logo

Contact Us Now To Begin A Consultation


Frequently Asked Questions About Real Estate Topics

Real estate law covers a wide array of topics and problems that may affect your daily life, finances, privacy and more. Take a moment to review our real estate FAQ. At Madigan, Dahl & Harlan, P.A., our experienced team of attorneys is available to answer your questions.

What do I need to do when buying a home?

Purchasing a new home is a big step in life for many people, and it may be one of the largest purchases they make. As such, it is important to make sure that you have all the information about the property and the legal protection you need.

Some of the essentials and other possibilities that your transaction could involve include:

  • A title examination
  • A home inspection and possibly a survey of the property
  • A purchase contract
  • Loan and mortgage information
  • Title insurance and home insurance

You may need to take special steps depending on your unique situation. Because the stakes may be high and certain issues may be complex or difficult to detect, we recommend seeking professional counsel.

What do I need to tell the buyer when selling my home?

As a seller in Minnesota, you must disclose aspects or problems that can affect the property’s value or land use, such as:

  • The year that the house was built
  • The age of the roof shingles
  • Damage from fire, smoke and flooding
  • The condition of the furnace, plumbing, appliances and other systems
  • Mold and air pollution
  • Animal and insect infestations

Minnesota uses a standardized disclosure form across the state. Answer its questions honestly and fully to avoid a real estate dispute if the buyer encounters a problem that doesn’t appear on the form. However, be sure to know the details that you do not have to disclose, which are listed on the Minnesota Disclosure Form.

The government wants to use my property. What are my rights?

There are many reasons why a government entity may need to work within or make changes to your property. In most cases, the government does so to serve a public need, such as fixing utilities.

However, there are limitations to what a government entity can do with your property and how they go about their purpose. If the government needs to take a portion or the entirety of your property, they must give you fair compensation according to eminent domain law.

However, the government may only want to set limits on how you use your property or to work on your land temporarily. In this case, the government could form restrictive covenants or seek an easement. You may choose to challenge these decisions if you believe that they are not fair or justified.

Why should I work with an attorney?

An attorney’s job is to protect your rights. Whether you are buying a house or facing a legal problem, you deserve to have clear information and fair outcomes. A real estate lawyer can help you understand all aspects of your transaction, guard you from potential problems and advocate for your interests. Call 612-604-2000 to speak with a qualified Minneapolis attorney at Madigan, Dahl & Harlan, P.A.