Madigan, Dahl & Harlan, P.A. logo

Contact Us Now To Begin A Consultation


Frequently Asked Questions About Alcohol Beverage Law Issues

The alcohol beverage industry is subject to significant regulations. Owners of bars, wineries, distilleries, restaurants, distribution companies and more need to navigate complex legal matters. Madigan, Dahl & Harlan, P.A., has the training and experience in this specific area of law to help answer any questions you may have about licensing, litigation and other legal issues.

What kind of license will I need for my restaurant or bar?

In most cases, Minnesota bars and restaurants need an on-sale intoxicating liquor license, an on-sale wine license or an on-sale malt liquor license depending on the type of alcohol they plan to serve. There are many types of licenses and local rules, however. Consulting with an attorney is a good way to make sure that you pursue the right alcohol license for your business.

I want to serve alcohol at a one-time event. What type of liquor license will I need?

Minnesota allows the following entities to apply for a temporary liquor license:

  • Religious organizations
  • Nonprofits
  • Clubs
  • Charities
  • Registered political groups
  • State universities
  • Small-production brewer or microdistillery

A temporary license can allow you to serve alcohol for various activities such as charity galas, religious ceremonies, fundraisers and social events. Be aware that the rules for temporary licensure can vary between counties and cities, however. For alcohol tastings, unique licensing laws apply.

How old do my employees have to be?

Employees must be at least 18 years of age to work on the premises or to serve or sell alcohol. They may not drink alcoholic beverages until they are at least 21 years of age.

You as the licensee are responsible for the actions of your employees. Regardless of age, use caution when hiring employees to serve or sell alcohol.

For Specific Counsel, Contact Our Firm

If you have questions about which license your business needs, what your license allows and other issues involving the alcohol beverage industry, speak to our attorneys today. Call 612-604-2000 or email our Minneapolis office to schedule a consultation.